Tuesday, June 7, 2011

From Carly - Day 1 of Archaeological Textile course.

I apologize that this is a day late, I had some internet issues yesterday. This post will be about yesterday's class, and then later, Jeanette and I will create a joint post about today's class so as not to bore you to tears with repetitive posts. 

So like Jeanette said, class began with a refresher on some pre-ceramic cultures of the Andes, followed by some hands on work. This combination has really helped me to contextualize a lot of the things I have read about Andean Textile creation. I tend to confuse some of the pre-inca cultures, and their styles, but I already feel more confident and familiar with many of the Andean cultures and their relationships to one another (geographically, chronologically, stylistically). I know that I will also gain more from things I read in the future after this sort of crash course in Andean history. 

The most meaningful part of this course for me is the hands on stuff. There is only so much one can glean from simply reading about textile processes. I actually spun yarn with a drop spindle for the first time yesterday and learned first hand how much skill is involved. I also learned that there is a direct relationship between spindle/whorl size, and yarn size. Seeing modern spindles for crafters, which are much larger, really drove home the point that Andean weavers valued extremely fine yarns, and therefore, they valued the immense detail we see in their textile artifacts. 

We also experimented with "single element" techniques like looping, cross-knit looping, linking, and knotting/netting. Again these are things that I simply could not fully comprehend until I did it myself, despite my knowledge of modern day knits which are similar. I think I am now much better equipped at looking at piece that uses these techniques and correctly identifying precisely how they were made. Some of them lead to visually similar finished products but were made quite differently. 

Ultimately this course will definitely help me get more out of my research.

- Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment